While academic grades are essential to achieving good degree course offers, admissions officers increasingly take account of a student’s personality, extra-curricular activities, and ability to make a positive contribution to the university environment. An excellent personal statement and a confident performance at the interview stage are a means for a student to communicate their academic passion and individuality, and are both crucial for university admissions success.
UNISET (University Selective Entry Training) is a residential weekend event that uses stimulating and thought-provoking exercises to help you improve your personal statement and develop your interview skills well in advance of university application deadlines. It takes place on 25th-27th September, and focuses on three key aspects of the admissions process:
University and Course Choices
- You may currently feel lost trying to decide which courses and universities will suit you best. At UNISET, you will receive one-to-one guidance in making your UCAS selections according to your individual needs, skills and experiences.
- You will review your decision to choose a particular academic field in interactive workshops and consider what relevant reading and experience you already possess, and what further research you need to carry out.
- UNISET staff will challenge and inspire you to set ambitious, but achievable targets, for the remaining school year, mock exams and final summer results.
UCAS Personal Statement
- You will critically review your personal statement, and with the support of experienced teaching staff and peer discussion, you will develop new material to include and refine existing content.
- You will be supported in presenting all relevant information in a way that highlights your individual qualities and abilities, and also effectively expresses your interest in your chosen field of study.
- You will also learn about the common errors that students make in personal statements, in order to avoid making the same mistakes.
Interview and Communication Skills
- We believe that you are at your best when you are comfortable being yourself. UNISET staff will run a communication skills workshop, focusing on improving confidence, tone and other communication strategies.
- You will attend subject-specific mock interviews run by UNISET tutors from some of the best universities in the UK, including UCL, Imperial College and Oxbridge, and receive written feedback.
- The workshops and mock interviews will be filmed as a means to provide you with feedback and guidance in strengthening you communication skills.
You will leave, having been inspired by your peers and with a clear sense of direction for the future.